Built-in wireless LAN with super-reliable SRT or Zixi streaming. Optional HEVC/H.265 encoding. Never before has this level of connectivity been available in a compact, handheld camcorder. Ideal for broadcast newsgathering, it's equipped with JVC's powerful communications engine that delivers high quality, low latency error-free video right from the camera, wirelessly. And while shooting, your crew can view return video and receive IFB from your facility. With its integrated 20x lens there are no compromises in image quality. There are plenty of media options including SDHC, SDXC and SDD. You can even shoot and record to SSD (solid state drive) media in a wide variety of formats, including 10-bit ProRes 422 at 4K resolution and 50/60p frame rates.** Everything you need is included, including built-in dual channel (2.4GHz, 5GHz) broadband radios with MIMO. Just plug in an appropriate media card and begin shooting, recording and streaming.
WATCH THE VIDEO
WATCH THE VIDEO
- Built-in wireless LAN (2.4GHz/5GHz) MIMO with external antenna
- High performance 1080 60p/50p live streaming with Zixi™ error correction
(4K Rec + HD streaming + 4K HDMI output)
- Secure Reliable Transport (SRT) QoS technology
- Low latency and high-quality streaming up to 20Mbps
- HEVC/H.265 encoding for streaming with 50% reduction in bit rate—or—contribution quality 4:2:2 10-bit streaming at up to 24Mbps (via optonal KA-EN200G)
- Broadcast overlay on video and streaming
- Stream to Facebook Live with RTMPS protocol (v0110)
- H.265/HEVC streaming (with optional KA-EN200) (v0120)
- LAN terminal (Streaming/IFB/Remote) in addition to USB host (v3.0)
- Return over IP (Return video and IFB)
- Network Time Protocol (NTP) for precise time code synchronization (v0120)
- Auto FTP to upload native video clips automatically
- 10-bit ProRes 422/422HQ/422LT at 4K resolution and 50/60p frame rates
recording to M.2 SSD**
- SSD recording in ProRes 422HD (with optional SSD drive/caddy; Firmware version v0110)
- Backup recording to SSD (with optional SSD drive/caddy) (v0120)
- Clip Continuous Record mode
- 4K UHD 30p/25p/24p 4:2:2 10-bit/4:2:0 8-bit (150Mbps) & various HD recording to SDHC/SDXC card*
- HD-SDI output when shooting in 4K mode (v0120)
- HDR recording, HLG or J-Log1 (10-bit)
- 1-inch (effective) CMOS sensor with high picture quality
- F11 Sensitivity
- Newly-developed 3-ring 4K lens with 20x zoom (f=28mm-560mm 35mm equivalent)
- 40x lossless dynamic zoom
- 4-inch high resolution LCD monitor
- LCOS Quad VGA viewfinder
- XLR audio connectors
* Recording media not included
** SSD media requires optional KA-MC100G media adapter.
SUPERB CAMERA PERFORMANCE
1" CMOS 4K Image Sensor
- The GY-HC550 features a 1-inch CMOS 4K image sensor for uncompromised cinema and video production. This large sensor delivers a superior dynamic range, high S/N ratio and high sensitivity (F11 at 2000lx), contributing artistic visual expression including shallow depth of field 'bokeh' capability.
20x Optical/40x Dynamic Zoom Lens with Manual Functions
The GY-HC550 is equipped with a newly developed wide-angle 20x optical zoom lens to offer optimal magnification for shooting. When shooting in HD mode, Dynamic Zoom combines optical zoom and pixel mapping from a 4K image sensor to create seamless and lossless 40x zoom. Take total control of the scene with triple large rings for zoom, focus, and iris for smooth shooting. Other features include an optical image stabilizer and chromatic aberration correction.
HDR via HLG/J-Log 1
- The GY-HC550 is equipped with an HDR compatible HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) mode and JVC's proprietary J-Log 1 Gamma mode. These enable high dynamic range capture of a broad color spectrum with 10-bit recording for better color grading and to avoid banding. Footage recorded in HLG mode will deliver a full HDR image when viewed on HLG-compatible monitors. The J-Log 1 mode delivers wide latitude and a high dynamic range of 800%. In the field, it's possible to record while checking the image on the GY-HC550's LCD screen or viewfinder to get a grasp of the final output.
GY-HC550 supports HLG recording which enables simple HDR workflow without color grading. Avoiding clipped highlights or shadows, images are more realistic and vibrant. BT.2020 which offers wider color gamut is also supported.
Practical Auto Focus and Assist Functions
- The Auto Focus and Focus Assist functions of the GY-HC550 provide the highly accurate, stable focusing that is essential for 4K shooting. Moreover, its broad customizability enables it to perform in a variety of shooting situations.
- Customizable AF: AF speed, AF sensitivity, AF area, and Near Limiter can be adjusted as needed.
- Customizable AF Assist: Turning the focus ring varies the function depending on the Focus/Assist mode status to fully control focusing.
- One Button Control: "PUSH AUTO/LOCK" button enables you to lock focus, or engage AF for as long as you keep the button pressed, etc., for one-button focus control according to the focus mode you have selected.
- Advanced Face Detection
- 4K UHD 60p/50p Apple ProRes 422 10-bit Recording
- The GY-HC550 records in Apple ProRes 422 for attention-grabbing 4K 60p/50p image creation. Apple ProRes 422 HQ offers virtually lossless intra-frame compression, which speeds up post-production. Footage is recorded in native file formats that are understood by most major editing applications without transcoding. This is helpful for efficient workflow of editing and post process. The 4:2:2 format also provides richer color information and 10-bit recording delivers rich gradations—a definite advantage for grading work after recording.
SSD Enables Extended Time 4K UHD 60p/50p Shooting
Large-capacity, readily-available SSDs (SATA M.2 SSD Type2280) are compatible, so extended-time 4K UHD up to 60p/50p video recording is possible. Just plug it into the camera's extended slot (using the optional SSD adapter KA-MC100G). SSD media delivers excellent sequential read speed to tackle professional workload. High-speed transfer of huge amounts of recorded footage is possible.
Dual SD Card Slots for Versatility and Efficiency
- GY-HC550 offers dual SDHC/SDXC card slots to let you record 4K 30p/25p/24p or HD video on readily available, affordable media. Unique features using two cards include:
- Series (relay) recording mode: Continuous recording card by card.
- Clip Continuous Mode: This mode allows you to consolidate several rounds of start/stop recording into one clip.
- Dual (simultaneous) recording mode: Recording to two cards with the same format for backup or multi-purpose.
- Backup recording mode: While the Rec trigger is used to REC and STOP recording on one card, the other card can act as a continuous backup that overrides the pause function*.
*During simultaneous backup recording in HD mode, the duplicate file records in the same file format and bit rate as the original.
Robust Body and Excellent in Weather Resistance
- Its robust body makes the GY-HC550 ready to work in harsh environments and situations. Excellent construction in weather resistance enables image gathering in the field with confidence.
Switchable IR Shooting
- IR filter can be switched disabled (Infrared ON) to increase infrared sensitivity for shooting in extremely low illuminance.
Broadcast Info Overlay on HD Video and Streaming
- Designed for enhanced single-camera production, the GY-HC550 produces real-time broadcast information overlays for HD recorded video or streamed video without an external CG or production switcher. Lower-third graphic overlays are generated and controlled using a browser-equipped device, such as a tablet or smartphone. Overlay designs can be created in various language characters using JVC's SDP Generator (free software).
Note: This feature is not available in 4K or SD mode.
ADVANCED CONNECTED CAM™ FEATURES
Live-over-IP Features with Built-in MIMO based Wireless LAN
- As a CONNECTED CAM series camcorder, the GY-HC550 delivers a variety of features and performance required in the field with IP connectivity. Use the built-in MIMO based wireless LAN, or use the RJ-45 LAN terminal for the stability of wired communication. Count on camera-to-studio and studio-to-camera two-way data communication to enable you to build an advanced Live-over-IP workflow solution.
HD Live Streaming up to 24Mbps with Low Latency
- The GY-HC550 is capable of streaming LIVE HD/SD and proxy video/audio files via network up to 24Mbps with low latency. High quality, stable streaming is possible from the field using just the camera itself*. No need to carry a heavy backpack or external boxes.
*With an appropriate network connection
Various QoS Technologies including SRT, Zixi and SMPTE 2022-1
- For reliable, quality streaming, Zixi advanced streaming is built-in to provide forward error correction, automatic repeat request (ARQ), and adaptive bitrate control to ensure error-free video delivery in packet loss environments such as when streaming over cellular networks. SMPTE 2022-1 forward error correction is also supported for reliable transmission.
SRT: QoS (Quality of Service) Technology
SRT (Secure Reliable Transport) is an open source video transport protocol that enables the delivery of high-quality and secure, low-latency video across the public Internet. SRT optimizes streaming performance across unpredictable networks with secure streams and easy firewall traversal, bringing the best quality live video over the worst networks. It accounts for packet loss, jitter, and fluctuating bandwidth, maintaining the integrity and quality of your video.
SRT provides end-to-end security, resiliency and dynamic endpoint adjustment based on real-time network conditions to deliver the best video quality at all times on any network.
SRT is built-in and can be dynamically adjusted for optimal stream performance and quality. Automatic Repeat Request (ARQ) is included with SRT. End-to-end 128/256 bit AES encryption makes sure your content is protected from contribution to distribution.
IP Remote Control with Viewing
- When the camera is IP connected, vital camera operations can be remotely controlled via wireless or wired LAN from a tablet, smartphone, or computer anywhere in the world. Remote control functions include lens and camera settings as well as registering zoom presets and IP connection settings.
- It's possible to upload video clips to an FTP server via IP. Auto FTP function allows you to start uploading a recorded clip without opening the menu screen.
Return over IP
- It's possible for the person in front of the camera to engage in a 2-way interview with return video and audio while streaming live to air via IP network. This allows reporters to wirelessly receive directions from the station, and camera operators to re-adjust framing as directed from another location. Multi-camera applications are supported as well.
Complete Video-over-IP Solution for Remote Production
- The GY-HC550 with ProHD Studio system provides an affordable multi- camera live production solution with unique features. The ProHD Studio accepts four Video-over-IP streams from the GY-HC550 (or JVC IP-supported cameras). And a built-in H.264 encoder supports 1080/60p and 1080/50p streaming up to 24Mbps. In addition, it can support RTMP protocol for direct streaming to various CDNs. Output choices include dedicated HD-SDI and HDMI ports, plus an HDMI display port for multi-view or program monitoring. IP accommodates streaming from the camera as well as RCU and return, IFB from the studio, including tally and voice instructions. Suitable for compact live production and streaming studio for live events such as concerts, sports, ceremonies and conferences.
The workflow that works for you!
500 Series Differences
| ||GY-HC500 ||GY-HC500SPC ||GY-HC550|
|Wireless LAN ||Optional USB HD65U adapter ||Built-in MIMO|
|Broadcast overlay ||No ||Yes ||Yes|
|Score overlay ||Yes || |
|ODK tagging ||Yes || |
|MPEG2 recording || ||Yes|
|GPS ||Yes ||Yes|
|Zixi QoS ||Yes ||Yes|
|SRT QoS ||Yes ||Yes ||Yes|