TASCAM's DR-44WL is the latest recording innovation from TASCAM. It starts with high-quality stereo condenser microphones, updated with a new XY pattern and high-performance mic components. Two locking XLR inputs feed TASCAM's latest microphone preamp design, with the lowest noise level and richest sound available in a portable recorder.
The DR-44WL revolutionizes handheld recorders with its new Wi-Fi feature. A free app for iOS or Android devices provides control, file transfer, and audio streaming to your smartphone. Start recording while on-stage or from anywhere in the room, while setting trim levels and check meters to make sure the transport is running. At the end of a performance, transfer recordings to your phone and instantly upload them to SoundCloud, Facebook, even email directly to fans.
With rugged construction, great sound quality, and TASCAM's famed ease of use, the DR-44WL is the ultimate portable recorder for anyone from beginning musicians to experienced professionals.
Automatic Features Streamline Recording Setup
Even as a professional recording device, the DR-44WL has numerous automatic functions that can make recording easier for anyone. Numerous automatic recording functions combine with functions that simplify file management.
Peak Reduction and Limiter
These functions automatically adjust the recording level in response to the input level. The peak reduction function automatically lowers the level if an input overload is detected, optimizing the recorded sound. The limiter reduces excessive input levels without changing the input level setting.
Automatic Track Creation by Time
The DR-44WL can automatically create a new file and continue recording without interruption when a set amount of time has elapsed. This function is convenient when recording for long periods of time. For example, when set to 5 minutes, a new file will be created automatically every 5 minutes when recording. These files can be combined later in your audio editing software for seamless playback. Manual file increment is also possible by pressing the Record button during recording.
Automatic Track Creation by Level
The DR-44WL can create a new track every time a level threshold is passed. This can split a concert recording into tracks, and can be useful when digitizing another recording like a cassette, DAT, or vinyl record.
Automatic Mark Function
Marks can be added to files when high levels or peaks are detected. When set to a level, marks can be added automatically at the points when songs end. When set to peak detection and used together with the peak reduction function, these marks will identify the points where peaks were detected ? making it easy when using audio editing software on a computer. You can also add markers manually while recording.
This function can divide files where marks are added. When used together with the automatic marking function, long recordings can automatically be divided into files with individual songs. Files can also be divided manually.
Multitrack Mode For Serious Demo Production
The DR-44WL is a powerful tool for songwriters. In Multitrack mode (MTR), the DR-44WL is able to overdub one track at a time. With multitrack functionality, you can produce studio-quality music files using just the portable DR-44WL. A reverb effect is also included to sweeten your mix.
MTR mode allows separate multitrack recording to four tracks. Record using the built-in mics to capture song ideas anywhere. Then plug into the external inputs to add amp simulator and keyboard overdubs. Use the mic inputs with ? phantom power to bring in condenser mics for vocal recording. When you're finished recording your song, use the built-in mixer and reverb to mix, then record your mix as a stereo file.
Internal Reverb Effect
A stereo reverb effect can be added from the internal mixer. Presets for halls, rooms and other standard environments can be utilized to suit the user and type of music. This effect can be applied during recording and playback to give your recordings a sense of space.
Features at a glance
- Supported WAV recording formats: 44.1k/48k/96kHz, 16/24bit, WAV/BWF format
- Supported MP3 recording format: 44.1k/48kHz, 32k to 320kbps MP3
- Recording media: SD/SDHC/SDXC card (up to 128GB SDXC card)
- Cardioid stereo condenser microphones fixed in X-Y position
- High sound pressure design captures levels up to 132dB SPL
- Innovative shock mount structure reduces physical noise
- XLR/TRS inputs compatible with mic or line level (-10 or ?)
- ? phantom power supply for condenser microphones
- PGA (programmable gain amplifier) and Cirrus Logic CS42L52 audio codec for low-noise, high-performance audio recording
- MTR mode enables multitrack music production
- Four-track mode supports advanced recording
- Remote control, file transfer and streaming playback using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi connects directly to smartphone without a router
- Full remote control using the free TASCAM app for iOS and Android
- Recorded audio can be posted directly to SoundCloud using the TASCAM DR Control app
- Dual level recording function allows simultaneous recording of a second file at a lower level
- Dual-format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
- Automatic level optimization functions (Peak Reduction & Limiter)
- Low-cut filter with four selectable frequencies (40/80/120/220Hz)
- Pre-recording buffer records up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- Automatic track increment function that can be set according to the application (level, elapsed time or manual)
- Auto recording function that can detect the signal input signal level and automatically start recording
- Automatic mark function that adds marks according to preset conditions (peak detection or manual)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
- A-B Loop playback function that is convention for music rehearsal
- Automatic division function that divides files at marks (manual division also possible)
- M-S decoding function for utilizing M-S microphones
- Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
- Automatic power-saving function that prevents unnecessary use of battery power
- Resume function that retains the last stop position when power is turned back ON
- Chromatic tuner and a metronome are available in 4-track mode (V1.10)
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- Audio files created on computers can be played (only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with 0.3W output
- 128×128 pixel oversized graphic LCD with backlight
- USB 2.0 high-speed file transfer to a computer
- Stereo mini headphone line output / headphone output connector
- Powered by four AA batteries, USB bus power, or AC adapter
- Long-time operation of over 16 hours using the internal batteries (Alkaline battery, 16/44.1, 2ch, Wi-Fi OFF)
- Quality construction with aluminum side panels and genuine brass mic guards for durability
- Carrying strap connection
- Tripod attachment screw-hole
- 4GB microSD card and SD card adapter are included
- Standard accessories: AC adapter, windscreen, grip that is compatible with mic stands, shoe mount adapter, case
- RoHS certified