The VLA-500 brings the same VCA-less Vactrol based compression circuit used in ART’s legendary Pro-VLA, putting to a convenient 500 Series format for the first time. Capable not only of delivering incredibly smooth compression and overall dynamic control, the VLA-500 also offers two user selectable tone shaping circuits making it one of the most versatile signal processors in your 500 Series rack.
The ‘Punch’ circuit is a J-FET Harmonic Enhancer that adds even-order harmonic distortion for a fuller, “punchier” tone while taming nasty peaks that may escape the Vactrol. The Grit circuit adds frequency-dependent signal distortion to make any track truly stand out. This is a highly creative effect that can work especially well on drums and percussion, solo brasses and woodwinds and even vocals when added presence and position in a mix is required. Bypassing both ‘Punch’ and
‘Grit’ circuits delivers the purest Opto-compressor tone, perfect for critical solo instruments and clean vocals. ‘Punch’ and ‘Grit’ circuits can even be combined for additional tone shaping options.
- 500 Series Form Factor Compressor Module
- Based on Popular PRO-VLA Technology
- VCA-less Vactrol Opto-Compressor Design
- Two Additional Selectable Solid State Tone Shaping Circuits (‘Punch’ & ‘Grit’)
- Variable Threshold, Ratio and Output Controls
- Stereo / Multi-Channel Linkable
- LED Metering